Wednesday, April 13, 2011

9 to 5

Caution: a little bit of whining ahead. (Not from Dolly, from me.)



This is the 6th week I've been back to work after maternity leave. A month and a half. It feels at once like it has been so much longer and like it has only been a few days. (I think that is one of those phenomena of parenthood--as one of my favorite authors, Gretchen Rubin, puts it: "The days are long but the years are short.")

I am what is referred to as a "working mom," which if you ask me is nowhere near a decent description of what it feels like to be a parent who goes to a job outside the home every day. Being a parent is definitely the hardest (but also most rewarding) thing I've done ever in my life. In itself, parenthood is more than a full-time job. A full-time job is classified as 40 hours a week; being a parent takes every hour of every day of every week--when you are with your child, you are interacting with her and hoping you are giving her everything she needs to become an amazing person. When you're not with your child, you are missing her, worrying that she's missing you (or worrying that she ISN'T missing you), trying to get other things done so when you do see her you have quality time to spend with her, and when you're all sleeping, as a parent you aren't REALLY sleeping, because you keep one ear on the baby monitor to make sure she doesn't need you all night long. 

If you're working at a job (in corporate America in my case), you're not only busy trying to get your daily tasks done, but also keeping up with your colleagues, and worrying about your career advancement. You have to please your manager, keep up with team and corporate initiatives, interact with co-workers, and (on my team at least) manage a daily cycle of interruptions and struggling to come back to the task at hand. Now, since I'm also trying to breastfeed my kid, I'm taking breaks two to three times a day to pump. I'm also worrying about the fact that someone else is tending to my child (and possibly not doing it like I would if it were up to me all day). It's more than a little distracting in an already hectic workplace.

Oh yeah, and then there is the lack of sleep...

A few years ago one of my great friends (who also happened to do the same job as me and was on my team at work) told me she was leaving the job to stay home with her daughter. She told me that she felt like she was "doing a bad job at both being a parent and being a good employee." I scoffed at her when she told me this--she was clearly doing an awesome job at both things--she's a great parent and she did a wonderful job at work. But now I know what she means.

I know I'm doing a pretty good job at being a parent--I firmly believe that if you give your child all the love in your heart, try to make the choices that are best for her, stay informed on the things you need to keep her safe, help her grow and learn, and make sure she knows how awesome you think she is, she's going to turn out okay. I also know I'm doing a decent job at work.

My problem is that I've never been okay with doing "okay" or "pretty good." For my first job, I worked at a place called Discovery Zone. Sometimes I was assigned the snack bar, and it was my job to clean out the nacho cheese dispenser at the end of the day. A ridiculous job--but I'll be damned if I wasn't the best nacho cheese dispenser cleaner you ever saw. I've always taken pride in whatever job I have, and I want to do it to the very best of my ability. Having my focus split a million different ways in an already very disjointed daily schedule makes me feel like I'm NOT doing my job very well at all.

I've also wanted to be a mom as far back as I can remember. I was a babysitter (with certification from the Wilmington, NC public library babysitter course!) from way back. I always knew I wanted my own kids. And now that I HAVE a child (and maybe I'm biased, but she's pretty awesome), I can't think of anything I'd like to do more than spend every single moment of every day with her (or for her). It's next to impossible to think about anything but that little girl all day. I feel very distracted when I'm not with her.

I'm probably a typical working mother. I am probably not facing struggles any more difficult or intense than any other working mom out there. I should probably just realize that this is how life is going to be. It's just hard. Thanks for letting me vent, internet. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Katerbean, you're not alone! *hugs* You're right, these are struggles that working Mom's face every day (blame it on women's lib LOL). But I know how you feel--I was the working Mom until my second was born, and then I decided to stay home. Although, my first daughter didn't go to daycare; instead my firefighter husband's schedule worked well w/ my job letting me "work from home" one-two days a week, even if I DID end up bringing her into the office for some "imperative meeting" that I just HAD to be at. So I was lucky that way, that she was always with one of us. Now that I'm home, there are days that I long for the office: I miss my coworkers, I miss other Mom's to chat with, I miss two hour lunches (don't hate: I was in advertising sales and out all the time :) But although I miss those things, I wouldn't trade spending these first years with my girls for ANYTHING! (I'm really not trying to rub it in here, even if that's what it seems). I just want you to know that you're not alone in your feelings--every working Mom would LOVE to stay home with their kids, if only we got PAID (other than in love) to do it! We're definitely paycheck to paycheck here, but we make it work, somehow. And I'm really sad to be student teaching come this August. It's 6 months that my girls will suddenly be with strangers every day (the younger will NOT do well I already know!) and that kills me inside. I don't know if I want to interview for jobs in December, or bring the girls back home until I'm done with my Masters. Whatever happens is meant to be I know; I just hope it's the right path for my girls no matter what. Long comment short: again, it's true you're not alone, but venting not only helps you, it helps other Moms who feel the same way. Together, we'll find answers...or maybe just a big piece of chocolate cake :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kate, I know exactly how you feel. Except that you put it into words much better than I ever could!

    I have no advice (sorry), just empathy. I'd like to tell you that it gets easier, but it doesn't--at least it hasn't for me. Really, it just becomes more of a "I have to do this so I will" thing, and that acceptance is pretty much all that's kept me working outside the home all this time. I'll keep working because right now I don't have a choice--but that doesn't mean that my heart isn't at home with my boy.

    Lincoln is 2 years + 2 months, and the longing I feel to be with him every minute has not diminished at all.

    Maybe the only good news is this: one, you are a GREAT mom! And two, you're not alone. We working moms really need a daily support group, don't you think? But how would we find time? :)

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard, so very hard to be a working parent. On the plus side, you are doing a fabulous job with Little Miss! Some other positives, you have a great husband (okay, I am a little biased here), you have a healthy and beautiful daughter, you have the ability to telework when necessary, FFLA supports working parents, and you have a great support system! The choices that must be made when having a child are tough on moms. Just know, you really are doing a marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have struggled with work since the day I went back to work after having Brady, which was almost four years ago. I know my boys are in good hands while I work and I know that it's good for me to have some adult interaction, but I'd much prefer to be at home, which just isn't an option for me unfortunately.

    I feel that my job has suffered most since having kids, because my focus is just not here. I often feel guilty, but at the same time, I just can't help it. It stinks that we as moms (and dads) do not get more support from our employers... encouragement to be good parents and employees.

    Sorry for the rant! I hope I didn't add to your discouragement. I just wanted you to know that I can definitely sympathize.

    By the way, I'm glad that you linked this to Facebook, so I could see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know that I totally get it from my own previous blog rant! :) Although it's funny because I have to say I wrote that about the same time that I had been back at work and felt exactly like you feel now. For me though it IS getting easier (have hope sweet Kate!). I love/am obsessed with Harper Grace but now that she is 5 months old I can tell how much she is benefiting from and enjoying her daycare (which is a GREAT daycare) and how much I am benefiting, and my family, is benefiting from my work outside of the home. For us it is working partly because I get off at 3 everyday which I know makes a world of difference.
    The thing that really works for me is that I have to compartmentalize. When I'm at work-I'm at work and I love being this productive, young, ambitious, albeit-pumping-3 times-a-day-and-you-can-suck-it-if-you-have-a problem-with-that, go-getter, but when I am off work I am 100% with Harper and am 100% all about being mom. Which of course cramps my social life a bit but hey not forever and that's how it is going to be because when I am not working I want to be with Harper ALL of the time, especially when she's this young.
    So hmmm, off on a tangent, but just remember this YOU ARE A WONDERFUL mother-give yourself a break. Now I'm going to tell you the most beautiful parenting advice I've heard so far:
    Trust the mom you are, you are the mom your child was meant to have. I have learned that when it comes to my baby, I know best, I know her best, and I am going to be able to help her and make the best decisions for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever read Proverbs 31? Seriously all of proverbs is great for parenting, but Proverbs 31 is about woman who can do it all.. Have authority, work, volunteer and take care of a family. If anyone can have it all and do it all (and do a great job at it all) it is my friend Kate!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought you should know that many of the feelings you have as a working mom I also have a SAHM. I actually sometimes think the thoughts of inadequacy are compounded as a SAHM because you can't possibly be 100% for your child 100% of the time. But I sometimes feel like I should since my job is to be home with him. Also I thought you should know that there are times I wish I had a job. I'm thankful that I can be a SAHM but I just thought you should know the feelings of motherhood cross work lines. Hope that helps...

    ReplyDelete